It's Friday. TGIF, right? You've put in some long hours, dedicated yourself to the job and figured out a way to whittle your lunch tab down to $1.25 (ketchup put into hot water makes tomato soup, right?).
I know you're stressed. That's why I'm here to tell you that it's really OK if you:
1. See that when you're the only one getting on the elevator with the top boss you suddenly say: "Oops! I forgot something! You go ahead!" Some days you just really don't want to do the whole elevator-pitch thing, ya know?
2. Claim you already gave to the latest charitable cause for which a colleague is collecting money. You're not a bad person, but if it comes down to saving the sea turtles or a latte, well...
3. Don't watch "The Office" because it depresses you. It cuts a little to close to the bone. "Dwight" has inhabited the cubicle next to you for three very, very long years.
4. Are determined to best your personal record of 17 straight spins in your chair. You brought some WD-40 to work, and are waiting for everyone to leave before trying for your personal goal of 35 spins.
5. Have scoped out a future retiree's larger, more private work space and are already schmoozing the office manager to make sure that when the time comes, that baby is YOURS.
6. Claim you didn't get the phone message from your boss over the weekend because your service sucks. And the e-mail? Same thing.
7. Show up for the company potluck with your personal, extra-secret recipe for chocolate chip cookies. Good thing Mrs. Field's is near your house...
8.Have written an entire novel in your head during a human resources presentation on "Know Your Company, Love Your Company."
9.Paid the snotty parking lot attendant all in pennies on the day he reported you were parked in vacationing employee's spot.
10. Offer your opinion on the latest business books, although you didn't actually read them. But those amazon.com reviews are so helpful, aren't they?
If you want to add to this list, feel free. It's Friday. It's OK.
Friday, July 18, 2008
Ten Rules Guaranteed to Cause You Less Stress
Labels: Anita Bruzzese, career advice, cubicle, dwight, free career advice, human resources, humor at work, it's okay, ok, the office, workplace advice, workplace rules
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
OK, who told? Now I'm going to have to search my cubicle for hidden cameras...
Hee,hee,hee...just wait until performance review time, my friend!
Oh, so that's Amazon works...
Anyways, It's also OK to:
- Order something weird at the Caf, just beacause you don't want fish & chips on Friday: I get the regular breakfast for lunch.
- Go watch another sequels/superhero/musical/remake movie at the friday showing: It's Batman & Mamma Mia this week, right?
- Play Friday night Poker, Bonus points if your boss is there (Extra Bonus points if you win on stupid luck against them)
- Leave on time
Wow, those are all great. I think "leave on time" is the best, however!
Thanks for adding to the list. This is kind fun, isn't it?
Have a great weekend.
I whole-heartedly love these tips, Anita! I think it's extremely important to remember that it's OK to give yourself a break every once in a while.
Thanks, Erika. I think we can all have a little more fun at work without causing any serious, long term damage!
Post a Comment