Friday, November 7, 2008
Now That The Election is Over, What Will You Talk About at Work?
The leaves have fallen off the trees, the pumpkins are rotting on the front porch and we've got a new president-elect.
It is, indeed, a changing of the times for us, and that is evident even in the workplace. For so long, politics and what Sarah Palin spent on her clothes and which foot Joe Biden shoved in his mouth were topics of conversation around the cubicles of America.
But, that has all pretty much passed as the long-battled presidential election has ended. So, what in the world will we choose to talk about at work? I'm sure it will be all manner of important, riveting, critical stuff, like:
* Why doesn't Whoopi Goldberg have any eyebrows?
* Can that CNN hologram thing be used the next time we have a meeting? If so, I want to be beamed up first!
* If we start now, we can totally create a lifesize model of Santa Claus made of paper clips by the holidays.
* Whatever happened to our intern? And, by the way, have you noticed that bad smell coming from the supply closet where the door jams shut?
* What are the lyrics to "Louie, Louie" anyway?
* Did you hear that our CFO is headed to the Cayman Islands for a little vacation? His secretary says that he hasn't booked a return trip -- I wonder what's up with that.
* If you play "Thriller" backwards, it says "I wish I were Prince, I wish I were Prince."
* The boss says we need to cut expenses. I say we get rid of the phones. They're nothing but a distraction, what with those customers calling all the time.
* I hate the sound of the shredder, so I've just starting putting everything in the Dumpster out back. I mean, can you imagine what a loser you would be to dive in that thing to get some stupid Social Security number?
* Is that Dick Cheney filling out an application for the mail room job?
What else will be people be talking about at work now that the election is over?